40 and 8's|
The French 40x8's carried US troops to the front when they
arrived. Used to carry horses they were pressed into service to
carry troops. Shortly after WW2, the French government sent each
state of the union a 40x8 as a token of its appreciation.
The photographer is Kaye Waite. The
car arrived in Salem, Oregon on December 12, 1949. It was moved to
Astoria in May 1962. Oregon's boxcar contained numerous gifts,
including oil paintings, china plates, church bells, children's toys
and drawings on brown paper, according to Richard Paul who put
together a brochure entitled "Merci Boxcar".
History || Honor Roll